One GRAND PRIZE WINNER will be offered a free, full-service, royalty-based contract with our parent company, Carmichael Publishing.
*ONE GRAND PRIZE WINNER: (can be from either Fiction or Non-Fiction categories) will be offered a free, full-service, royalty-based contract with Carmichael Publishing.
*TWO SECOND PLACE WINNERS: (one chosen from each category Fiction and Non-Fiction) will be given a $1000 certificate to use toward a publishing contract with Deep River Books.
*TWO THIRD PLACE WINNERS: (one chosen from each category Fiction and Non-Fiction) will receive a $750 certificate to use toward a publishing contract with Deep River Books.
*Winners whose manuscripts do not win but are worthy of mention will be awarded a "Certificate of Merit."
ENTER THE CONTEST IN THREE EASY STEPS:
1. Read the Contest Rules (below)
2. Copy and Paste the "Entry Data" (at the bottom) into an email and send it to email@example.com and make sure to complete each section of the Entry Data
3. Before you hit "send," make sure your email includes the following:
* The "Entry Data" Info (Completed)
* Your manuscript, as an attachment
Contest Rules & How to Enter
Please follow contest rules carefully. Failure to meet requirements or incomplete submissions will result in the author being disqualified from the contest.
1) The contest begins November 1, 2013 and runs until 11:59pm (PST) on January 15, 2014.
2) Persons entering the contest must be at least 18 years of age. Entering the contest is free, but only one manuscript per author can be entered.
3) Winners will be chosen by March 15, 2014. Grand Prize, Second and Third Place winners will be notified via telephone and posted on the Deep River Books website by March 16, 2014. "Certificate of Merit" award winners will be notified via email. All other writers will not be notified.
4) Judges will choose one manuscript from either category of Fiction and Non-Fiction to receive the Grand Prize of a royalty-based publishing contract with Carmichael Publishing, the parent company of Deep River Books. Two $1000 certificates toward a publishing contract with Deep River Books will be awarded to two Second Place winners, and two $750 certificates toward a publishing contract with Deep River Books will be awarded to two Third Place winners. These manuscripts will be chosen from either category by the judging panel. “Certificate of Merit” awards will be given to runner-up contestants whose manuscripts are of merit but do not win.
5) Entries must be received NO LATER THAN 11:59pm (PST) on January 15, 2014. Submissions will be accepted ONLY by email and must meet the submission guidelines.
6) Email entries MUST INCLUDE the author’s name, address, phone, and email address. Any entries that do not contain this information will be rejected.
7) Submissions must include an attached manuscript to the author's email, (we prefer one double-spaced document in MSWord format).
8) Non-Fiction manuscripts must be a minimum of 30,000 words, maximum 90,000 words. Fiction manuscripts must be at least 40,000 words, maximum 100,000 words. We are NOT accepting works of poetry or children's books at this time.
9) Any email entries that do not submit the above information and materials will be rejected without notice.
10) All entries will be judged by an independent review board and their decision is final, therefore authors should not contact Deep River Books in regards to the standing of their manuscript in the judging process.
11) Second and Third Place certificate winners will be offered a publishing contract under the normal terms of the Deep River Books Partnership Publishing Program. Prizes will be offered as discounts to a publishing agreement if the author chooses to publish with Deep River Books and have no cash value. Second and Third Place winners are under no obligation to publish with Deep River Books.
12) As part of our ongoing efforts to locate the highest quality manuscripts for publication under our regular partner-publishing arrangement, we may contact some of the runner-up and non-winning entrants who we deem a good fit for the Deep River Books imprint. However, contestants, by entering this contest, will not be under any obligation or commitment to publish with Deep River Books.
13) Current Deep River Books and VMI authors may enter manuscripts in the contest, but must be new manuscripts and not manuscripts already approved or under contract with Deep River Books or another publisher.
14) Employees of Deep River Books and freelance vendors of Deep River Books and VMI are not eligible.
15) Only Christian and Inspirational books that fit within the Statement of Faith of Deep River Books will be considered.
16) No materials will be returned to the author.
17) Winning authors and finalists give Deep River Books permission to use their names and book titles in promotions and announcements on the Deep River Books website, social media pages, or through press releases and other materials announcing contest details. Winners will be asked to submit a headshot for use on the Deep River Books website.
18) Grand Prize Winner will be notified by telephone and will subsequently be sent a royalty-based author contract from Carmichael Publishing, which they will be asked to sign prior to announcing them as the Grand Prize Winner. Should an author decline the Grand Prize, they will receive a Certificate of Merit and the Grand Prize will be awarded to a runner-up. The Grand Prize will be awarded with no charge or fees to the author.
19) This offer is void where prohibited by law.
HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST:
Copy and paste the following "entry data" into an email and complete each section.
Date of Entry:
How Did You Hear About This Contest?
(Facebook, word of mouth, internet search, online forum, email?)
Previous Publications, if any:
Category: (Fiction, Non-Fiction)
Sub Category: (Inspirational, Marriage-Family, Romance Fiction, etc.)
Subject: (In a sentence, what is your manuscript about?)
Manuscript length: (in # of words)
Brief Synopsis or Summary Description:
Who would be the primary target market for this manuscript?
Please attach a copy of your manuscript to your email as a single separate document, double spaced in MSWord format (if possible). Do not mail your manuscript. We only accept contest entries via email.
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR CONTEST: READ OUR PRESS RELEASE
The 2013 Contest Winners Say:
"I consider Deep Rivers Books a special miracle provided by God. They opened doors to a ministry about which I had been praying for years and they keep opening doors. Any author who has the privilege of being published by Deep Rivers Books will find themselves in the careful hands of deeply committed Christians with whom it's a daily and continuous delight to work. This publishing group wisely chooses books which will further God's kingdom and, once chosen, graciously works with and sincerely cares about their authors. I truly believe they are divinely guided.”
- Patricia Johnson-Laster, Grand Prize winner for Non-Fiction in the 2013 Deep River Books Writers' Contest; author of Free to Be Me: Guided Journaling for Personal and Spiritual Growth (releases March 6, 2014)
"Winning the DRB contest has been one of the most uplifting and affirming events of my writing life, encouraging me to carry on doing what I love! The staff at DRB has treated me with the utmost respect and professionalism, and I value their experience and input into my novel."
- Noelle Carle, Grand Prize winner for Fiction in the 2013 Deep River Books Writers' Contest; author of Waiting for Wren (releases March 13, 2014)